I am the owner of an online photoshop & photography website phlearn.com. We are updating the site completely, and I am doing it mostly myself. I am not an expert, and most of what I have done is an edit from woothemes- wootube. I have many videos teaching photoshop & photography, but they need to be categorized better.
I have successfully built in custom fields, as well as a custom post type. I believe what I need are custom taxonomies or categories, although to be honest, I don't know if that is entirely right. Here is the functionality I want, and from there we can decide how to do this.
I would like whomever has the answer to be able to view my files/site and make the changes. This is my first time using WPQuestions, so I don't know if that is standard here.
1) Videos need to be catagorized in the following way.
Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner
Photography, post production, photoshop, opinion, etc..
tools used etc - clone stamp tool, brush tool..
2) These also have to be available to custom post types - i.e. standard videos & Pro Tutorials
3) These need to be indexed & searchable. I am assuming this would be on the archives.php
I want someone who is coming to the site for the first time to be able to go to a page where 200+ videos are available and click along the top ( much like on WP Questions) If they would like to learn about "photoshop" , "photography" etc and have just those episodes come up. As well, they should be able to sort by difficuly, and/or define what tools they want to learn.
I.E. You could check or click on ADVANCED , PHOTOSHOP, CLONE STAMP TOOL. And only episodes containing those qualities will come back.
4) I would also like these to be built into the permalink - so the episode they are on would be in the structure phlearn.com/free_videos/advanced/photoshop/how_to_clonestamp.
5) I would also like a breadcrumbs link on the top of the page so people could navigate back..
6) For some reason my catagory page is not returning results now, and I need to get that working.
I realize this sounds like a lot, I am hoping all of this can be done relatively simply. If you can provide me with good results in a timely professional manner, I will mostly likely be in contact with future opportunities.
I am not an expert again, and I really don't know how hard this is to do. Just that I need it done, and I thought this was the best place to get it done.
Haven't read the whole question, but for taxonomies and custom post types you can use my plugin:
Hope it helps.